Sunday, January 23, 2011

Little Templars

I have a bit of an obsession with anything that has to do with the Knights Templar, or Arthurian legend.  I saw this book at the library and it caught my eye, so thought I'd try it. 
The Youngest Templar: Keeper of the Grail by Michael Spradlin

They year is 1191 A.D.  A young orphan boy named Tristan is being raised by a group of kind monks.  He is taken into squire-hood (is that the word?) by a kind Templar knight on his way to the Holy Land to fight in the Crusades.  Tristan fights with the Templars for several years.  On the siege of a city he is entrusted with Christianity's most holy relic, the holy grail.  Tristan must get the grail to England.  On the way he meets up with some characters (loosely taken from other historic/legendary characters) and adventure awaits.  This is the first in a series so I have to read the next one now!  

Very fun read.  It's appropriate for most-this first one I'd read to my kids.  The only bad part is the battle scenes which aren't too awful (not anything like what they would have been.) 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin