Monday, November 9, 2009

Portofino (or We All Have Nutty Families)




Portofino, by Frank Schaeffer, was a great little read. Fast, witty, and entertaining, with some intrinsic values. I loved Calvin, the main character. It follows his yearly family vacations to Portofino, Italy from his 9th to 13th years (I could be slightly off there, but hey.)

Calvin is from an evangelical Presbyterian family.
(Here I must confess I was completely ignorant. My parents were both Presbyterian and I was totally unaware of this branch of the faith.)
It was interesting to see how he perceived his family- as all pre-teens and teens do- as being a bit embarrassing and strange. (And his was pretty strange!)

Wonderful characters abound.
His father's explosive moods completely determined what kind of day the entire family would have. Really quite scary to me, but normal to the characters in the book.


Great choice, Laura!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin