Friday, November 12, 2010

The Mortal Instruments

The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare


What are they about? 

Well, there is this group of people called "Shadowhunters" who without our ever knowing it are saving the world from demons every day.  They were given this power by an archangel in the beginning of mankind it seems.  With special tools they can draw a sort of tattoo on themselves to make them more powerful, strong...

The main character, Clary, is a girl who has no idea of her shadow-hunting family's past.   She unknowingly stumbles into their world when at a nightclub (Pandemonium Club) that is also frequented by many supernaturals.  It all gets crazy from there.

Jace, the cool yet tortured teen shadowhunter...
Simon, the best friend/ boy-next door...
tattoos, rock music and leather outfits.

What is a girl to do?

Okay, THIS is why I screen my daughter's reading list...

The Mortal Instruments series is so popular, sort of the new "Twilight" thing it seems.   They are recommended for 9th grade and up, and I would say I probably agree (maybe even older depending on the kid.)


My reasons? 
(Let's see...incestuous thoughts between supposed siblings, seduction, demons everywhere, angels and fairies being tortured... in other words pretty graphic stuff for those not able to handle it.)  They make the Twilight books look really tame.



All that being said I still really enjoyed reading the first three books in this series.   I thought the characters were very interesting and believe me there was never a dull moment.  I am anxiously awaiting the next books! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin