Monday, March 15, 2010

Until September?

Another "end-of-the-series" (for now) depression...


Just finished Rapture of the Deep in the "Bloody Jack" series.
In this, the 7th installment in the exciting life of Jacky Faber, A.K.A. "Bloody Jack," La Belle Jeune Fille sans Merci, Little Mary, etc., we find our tiny heroine ready to wed her childhood sweetheart, Jaimy, at last.
Alas, it is not to be.
Poor Jacky and Jaimy will have to wait, because King George calls for them yet again.  This time they are sent across the seas to the Caribbean to hunt for treasure.  The dashing Lord Richard Allen makes an appearance again to save Jacky, and even befriends Jaimy. 
I did enjoy this book, although maybe not as much as some of the others.   Jacky didn't seem as on top of things as she usually is (hey, but she is only 16.)  I couldn't get the image of the amorous pirate, Flaco Jimenez, to not look like Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.   Not that that image is bad mind you (not at all...)  but Jacky is supposed to be barely sixteen, and Depp is well, more my age.  It drove me crazy. 

Jemimah, Jacky's new cook & advisor, tells many Brer Rabbit stories that are supposed to link in with Jacky's crazy life.  I got it in the end, but not sure it worked in some places. 


Also, I think this was the first time I could tell a man was writing the book, not sure why.
Jacky is such a powerful young woman and a good role model for young girls.   I can't imagine being female in her era.
All in all, it's a fun read and I loved the way it ended.
Now I will have to wait until September 13, 2010 to live the next Jacky adventure!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin