Friday, April 22, 2011

On Literary Fest Fun

The Arkansas Literary Festival was held this month...
The line-up for speakers and authors was really impressive, and there were many I wanted to see...
but I only got to see the grand finale-
David Sedaris.  
He was funny, 
sad, 
and very entertaining
Speaking about the bittersweetness of  life and squirrels
I think almost everyone I knew was at his talk.
Our book club choice had been The Pioneer Woman's "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels: A Love Story" and I had really wanted to hear her talk but it just didn't happen.
Luckily, another member of our club went to see her and said she was such a sweet person and
very down to earth.  She was able to fill us in at our meeting which was fun.
Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman

I managed to accidently read another book from a featured Little Rock author,
Kevin Brockmeier...
the Illumination.
This novel was reminiscent of Blindness by Jose Saramago in that the world changes overnight...
in this instance pain is suddenly transformed into light.
Pain is there for all to see, tumors, back pain, headaches...

I love short stories and this had a compilation of stories all surrounding the "Illumination."
A very poetic look at the world through several different sets of eyes.

I'm planning ahead so I can see more of the festival next year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin