Sunday, April 24, 2011

Madapples and Madness

Madapple, by Christina Meldrum was somewhat of a surprise to me.

I guess I was expecting a light, middle school type novel.
It was not that.
Aslaugh, is a 16 year old who is being raised by her very strange, controlling mother who claims that she was born of a virgin birth.  
She is kept away from everyone and they even forage for food on their property. 
Her mother's sudden demise makes Aslaugh a suspect and she must try to find out the truth about her mother's past and her own family.
Although it is very well written and thoughtful, this book was very difficult for me to read because of some of the content (rape, drugs, incest.)   
I loved the author's knowledge of medicinal and edible herbs and thoughtful religious discussions.
I would recommend it for high school ages up.   


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin