Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Little Commune on the Prairie


I had never even heard of the Hutterite religion until this book.  
It was very interesting.  The idea of communal living is very enticing (especially after reading this!) 
Where else do women get a two year helper when they have a baby,  do you never have to cook unless it's your designated job?
This is the author's family story.  Her parents were devout Hutterites.  They break with their community when the author is a child and the story of the struggle on leaving the community is as interesting as the story of the Hutterite society.  
I did become a bit confused with some of the language and family relationships (and then realized that there was a guide at the end of the book...)
A sweet story about family and community.

3 comments:

candyn said...

Oh my goodness, what a blog you have here. I just discovered it today, though I have read your other blog for awhile now. :o)

I have insatiable reading habits and I am always looking for the next book to read. It looks like we share similar taste in books. Your blog is like finding a treasure! Yay!

Panamamama said...

Thanks, Candyn! I read quite a variety although lately it seems I'm reading mainly young adult books- not sure what that's about. I would love to hear what you've been reading! I always am looking for the next good book. I keep a complete list on Goodreads (you can "friend" me to see what I've been reading.) I'm a bit behind on this blog and trying to get caught up! :)

Anonymous said...

This caught my eye as I was looking at your bookshelf. I am currently read a History of the Amish and there was mention of Hutterites. I had never heard of them before! I think I will add this to my goodreads to-read list!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin