Friday, January 28, 2011

On String Theory and Fairy Tales

I sometimes like to read a fiction and no-fiction book simultaneously just to mix it up.  It was funny because I started a book on string theory called The Elegant Universe, and then got The Lost Gate, a book I'd been waiting on from Orson Scott Card.  You wouldn't think it but they really compliment each other!

Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game, Lost Boys) is one of my absolute favorite authors. He has such a fantastic imagination it makes anything he writes so much fun to read. The Lost Gate was no exception.  Who else could take almost every myth and tale the world has known and explain them in a scientific yet magical way that makes sense?

The sons and daughters of the North clan all have some sort of magical powers, except for Danny. With no apparent magic in him his family treats him as an outcast, a servant, a dog. He is always fearful that someone will tire of him and kill him.
When mean cousins push him to the brink, he discovers that maybe he does have some magic in him. But what he discovers only makes things worse and life becomes even more complicated for Danny North.
Alternate worlds, myths that are actually realities, physics and fairy tales combine. 

I must admit, I found myself getting lost at times in this novel, but it did come together in the end to make a delightful read.   Not a book for kids, with adulterous relationships,  murder,  and just some scary stuff.  I want to know more about what happens to Danny, Wad, and the others. Not sure if he's planning a sequel but I'd like it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin